Thursday, December 11, 2008

Stand up for Canada


On December 6, there was a Stand up for Canada rally in numerous cities across Canada.

It was my privilege to bring my family to the rally right in Ottawa.

This was, in fact, the first time in my life I had ever attended a rally.

Had two federalist parties been able to form a coalition which put them into majority territory, I would have hated it, but accepted it, as per the rules of a Parliamentary system.

But their power grab rested squarely on the Bloc's cooperation. Since they, as a party, have no scruples against holding a political gun to the head of the Canadian Taxpayer, giving them the ability to support or topple a government was intolerable. For that reason, we attended the rally.

--- ( video footage here) ---

The press did an astonishingly amateur and slanted job of covering the rallies. Given the chance to report on direct action by ordinary citizens, they instead opted to report the activities of the opposition leaders of the same day.

The mainstream media are consequently, I suspect, going the way of the blacksmith. The public's eyes are open to the tactic of using op-ed in the guise of news, and are looking elsewhere for real reporting.

The rally filled the entirety of the sidewalk on the Hill, and overflowed into the grass. It was lively, but orderly.

This was Stephen Taylor of Blogging Tories. Great speech.




This was my 7-year-old son's hero, Pierre Poilievre:



The reason I wanted to brave the -10 temp on a Saturday afternoon?
Easy. Here it is:

No comments: